So I connected with Amanda from Digital Girl Consulting who was more than happy to jump on board and capture the cookie on film! (Please go check Amanda out – she’s absolutely lovely to work with, knows her stuff inside and out and caught my vision immediately, plus she’s kinda social media guru).
These cookies are soft and thick – just the way I like my cookies! If you’re looking for ways to decorate check out my instagram accounts and facebook for quick little videos on hand painting and ideas!
So here it is!!! My first video (please give me grace there’s a few things I’d already change about what I did for next time, but maybe there will BE a next time!!)
The Ultimate Rolled Sugar Cookie
(Yield – 40 large, 60 small)
1.5 cups salted butter (softened but not melted) (if using unsalted, add 1 tsp of salt to the dry ingredients)
2 cups white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
5 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla bean powder OR 1 fresh vanilla bean split and seeded
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment
- Cream butter and add sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla and cream until combined (little lumps are ok)
- Add flour and mound baking powder and vanilla bean on top
- Mix until the dough becomes a ball and is pulling away from the side of the bowl
- Wrap with saran wrap and put in the fridge for an hour (minimum) You can make ahead and put in the fridge for a couple days or freeze for 2 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 400F and bake cookies on a parchment covered cookie sheet for 7 minutes.
Ta-DA! Best sugar cookies ever!!!
Here are some options for variations on the cookie – of course you can experiment with other flavours to your hearts content:
Lemon Cookies – add lemon zest (1 tbsp) and 1 tsp lemon extract
Holiday Spice Cookies– add 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
Chocolate Cookies – omit 1.5 cups of the flour and add 1.5 cups of cocoa (yum), 1 tsp of espresso powder (to intensify the chocolate flavour!)
Thanks so much for watching and make sure to tell me how it goes if you make your own sugar cookies!!!!
Want more videos??? What do you want to see? Let me know – who knows what the new year will bring!?
Thanks to www.bensound.com for the background music, and Digital Girl Consulting for filming & editing and all the love!!